Re: Remove silly messages from input layer.

On Wed, 3 May 2006, Dave Jones wrote:

The latter message seems to trigger with certain keyboard switchers
and again, does nothing but confuse people.

I rather think it's showing us there was a glitch when switching.

I have a mechanical switch that sometimes produces this message, and every now and then, the keyboard loses its key repeat time/rate setting. It often happens when the switch is not turned quickly or firmly enough and in such a case I had the keyboard port lock up completely a few times. I think the kernel should report such a situation.

If people are "confused" by valid error messages, they can use certain proprietary operating systems that hide the ugly truth from them. What's next, removing "access beyond end of device"? I want to stay informed if my mechanical switch produces glitches. There are electronic ones that don't.

It would be nice if kernel messages had a structure that allowed a verbosity setting, but until then, non-confused users want the information they can get.

Regards, Nuri