Re: i8xx TCO timer: does not reset my machine

Hello Randy,
thanks for the reply, but the problem isn't how I tried to trigger it
from the userland but how the new chips work. See attached eMail.
Nevertheless at the moment the software watchdog is okay with me. But
the userland 'watchdog' programm is driving me crazy. 6 false positives
in less than 48 hours which resulted into reboots. I think that I will
put some work into writing something more reliable.

        Thomas
--- Begin Message ---
Hi Thomas,

>            [ I wrote you this in case you missed it on LKML ]
>
> I have one additional question. Might it be possible that the
> southbridge does support the watchdog but isn't wired to actually do the
> reset or is this a sofware problem in the driver?
>
> I have an Intel board (D915GEV/D915GRF) with an onboard i8xx TCO timer
> watchdog on it. I compiled a kernel and tried to make it reset my
> machine, but it simply doesn't. I use Linus Linux tree (GIT HEAD), the
> following watchdog related configuration:

Intel changed the way the ICH6 & ICH7 work. I have new code for this
and since yesterday evening an intel motherboard to test it with.
Update will follow... Bug is open for it on bug.kernel.org.

Greetings,
Wim.

--- End Message ---