Re: Problems with EDAC coexisting with BIOS

Alan Cox wrote:

On Llu, 2006-04-24 at 22:15 +0800, Ong, Soo Keong wrote:
To me, periodical is not a good design for error handling, it wastes
transaction bandwidth that should be used for other more productive
purposes.

The periodical choice is mostly down to the brain damaged choice of NMI
as the viable alternative, which is as good as 'not usable'
Hi,

As I believe that the majority of the bluesmoke/EDAC developers are (were) operating under the assumption that it would be possible to do something with NMI-signalled errors, I was wondering what the problems with using NMI-signalled ECC errors were?

Are there some systems states in which an incoming NMI throws a spanner in to the works in an unrecoverable way? If this is the case, is it so on all x86/x86-64 systems, or just a subset, and is there no way to implement some sort of top half / bottom half style NMI handler cleanly? As I am certainly not an x86 architecture expert, I would appreciate any input from the resident gurus ;o).

Quickly returning to the original problem - I know this isn't a proper API by any stretch of the imagination, and would require changes to existing BIOSs, but the EDAC module could reprogram the chipset error-signalling registers, so that an ECC error no longer triggers an SMI. The BIOS SMI handler could then read the signalling registers, and leave the ECC registers well alone if ECC errors are not set to generate an SMI.

Cheers,

Tim.