Re: [linux-usb-devel] New, yet unsupported USB-Ethernet adaptor

On Wednesday 03 May 2006 7:44 am, David Hollis wrote:
> Correct.  He is violating the license in a number of ways, though it
> probably isn't totally intentional.

Removing copyright and licence statements can't have been anything BUT
intentional.

That's really a basic rule, pretty much a "programming 101" thing.  You
know, like "test your code", "don't remove other folks' copyrights",
"don't try to change the licence on code copyrighted by someone else".

> The development on that driver
> probably began before usbnet was modularized to allow for the
> componentizing of driver specific code outside of usbnet.

Well, it's always allowed driver modularization ... the change was only
to move the hardware-specific parts outside of the driver core.

I certainly could see how work on this Moschip support might have
started before September of last year, when the core was more fully
split out.  But that's still no excuse for this kind of "piracy".

- Dave