Re: [RFC] Advanced XIP File System

On Wed, 3 May 2006, Jared Hulbert wrote:

> > We
> > only need to mark those pages as absent in the page tables if we ever
> > schedule to userspace while the flash is in a mode other than read mode.
> > Then handle the page fault by switching the flash back or waiting for
> > it.
>
> Where would we do this?  In each MTD driver?  A new generic aops function?

First, is it worth it?

IOW, are there real setups out there wishing to have user space XIP
while the kernel itself isn't XIP?

Because right now you only need to turn on CONFIG_MTD_XIP for XIP user
space to just work, regardless of whether the kernel itself is XIP or
not.  And of course CONFIG_MTD_XIP is mandatory if you want to write to
flash with a XIP kernel.

Nicolas