Re: [linux-usb-devel] New, yet unsupported USB-Ethernet adaptor

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 10:06 pm, Michael Helmling wrote:

> > Was it you who removed the copyrights from the "usbnet" driver and
> > changed the author assertion to one "M Subrahmanya Srihdar" ??
> > I'm guessing the latter; the www.moschip.com site implies that
> > its engineering HW is in India.
>
> No, I did not change the code in any way, it is exactly the version they
> mailed me.

That's what I strongly suspected.

> But I don't really understand what you are saying about the usbnet
> module. They gave me the sourcecode for a yet not available kernel module
> "mcs7830", not usbnet. Or did they just modify usbnet? I don't know enough
> about such things to distinguish from both.

They just hacked "usbnet".  There are huge chunks of code, and comments,
that are clearly identical.  At least half of the "moschip" driver.

> > Either way, blatant plagiarism and theft of copyright is unlikely
> > to get into upstream kernels.
>
> I personally have the feeling that they didn't do this by purpose. They were
> very willing to help me with the driver and don't seem to understand much of
> kernel development. Anyway, if this IS a copyright violation, they should
> really change it quickly.

"M Subrahmanya Srihdar" didn't "accidentally" copy the bulk of usbnet, remove all
the attributions, and replace them ... not possible.  There were certainly a few
chip-specific additions of course, right where "usbnet" expects them, but the
core driver is obviously all "usbnet" code.

- Dave