Re: Compiling C++ modules

Christer Weinigel <[email protected]> wrote:
>> eCos is nice enough -- because it's mostly C :)
>
> And those parts that are C++ (from a 2 year old eCos dist) won't
> compile with a modern g++.

C++ is OO, and OO is great!  OO is the natural way of doing things, and
allows one to concentrate on the issues at hand, while leaving the
nitty-gritty to the compiler to decide.

And this is the problem, as kernel development is highly sensitive to
compiler output, and which is why there are parts written in asm and others
in C.

So rewriting C with C++ would be as dumb as rewriting asm with C.

But there may be certain higher level parts in the kernel that could benefit
from rewriting C with C++, much the same as lower level parts have benefited
from rewriting them in asm.

So we have a situation like this:

	low-level written in asm when needed

	main-level written in C mostly

	high-level written in C++ when needed

Note though, C++ is not currently viable for kernel development, due to its
enormous overhead generated by immature compiler technology.  Once this has
matured, there should be no problem.

> --
> "Just how much can I get away with and still go to heaven?"

Just know that HE is one and only one.

Thanks!

--
Al