Open Discussion, kernel in production environment

Hello,

I always configure and compile a kernel throwing out all unusable options and
I never use modules in production environment (especially for the router).
But my superior has got the other opinion - he claims that distribution
kernel is quite good and in these days optimization has no sense because of
powerful hadrware.
What do you think? I have few arguments for this discussion but I wonder what
you say. Please, try to substantiate your opinions.

And the second question: which kernel branch/version *and why* do you use in
production environment?

Regards

--
 Marcin Hlybin, [email protected]
 Sys/Net Administrator, tel. +48 12 2523 402