Re: [Devel] Re: [RFC] Virtualization steps

Kirill Korotaev wrote:

Bill,

OpenVZ will have live zero downtime migration and suspend/resume some time next month.

Please clarify. Currently a migration involves:
- stopping or suspending the instance
- backing up the instance and all of its data
- creating an environment for the instance on a new machine
- transporting the data to a new machine
- installing the instance and all data
- starting the instance

If you could just briefly cover how you do each of these steps with zero
downtime...

it does exactly what you wrote with some minor steps such as networking stop on source and start on destination etc.

So I would detailed it like this:
- freeze VPS

when the VM stops providing services it's down as far as I'm concerned

- freeze networking
- copy VPS data to destination
- dump VPS
- copy dump to the destination
- restore VPS
- unfreeze VPS

and here is where my service is available again. The server may not know it's been down, but the clients will.

- kill original VPS on source

Moreover, in OpenVZ live migration allows to migrate 32bit VPSs between i686 and x86-64 Linux machines.

I guess you're using "zero downtime" as a marketing term rather than a technical term.

--
bill davidsen <[email protected]>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc