Re: IP1000 gigabit nic driver

Hi David,

David Gómez wrote:
> On Apr 28 at 01:58:04, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> > Needs some serious coding style cleanup and conversion to proper 2.6
> > APIs for starters.
>
> Ok, i could take care of that, and it's a good way of getting my hands
> dirty with kernel programming ;). David, if it's ok to you i'll do the
> cleanup thing.

Have fun! Great that you do this.

> What about 2.4/2.2 code? It's supposed to stay for compatibility
> or it should be removed before submitting?

Usually it should be removed.

The way to remove 2.4/2.2. code is by reimplementation
of 2.6-APIs in seperate files and headers and not submitting
these into latest kernel. Keep these somewhere else
(e.g. a project web site).

That way your drivers ALWAYS work with latest kernels
and you notice breakage of backward compatiblity quite easily.
If maintaining these parts becomes a pain with no gain,
you can simply stop providing these yourself.

"#ifdef KERNEL_VERSON" stuff in submitted drivers
is generally not acceptable. Since it is hard to test these parts.

I ported some off-tree drivers from 2.2 to 2.4. using this technique
and it works good, reduces maintainence burden and keeps
your driver current to latest APIs automatically.

Regards

Ingo Oeser