Re: scheduler question 2.6.16.x

Nick Warne wrote:
On Tuesday 25 April 2006 19:15, Jens Axboe wrote:

But I can build both in... so I guess then the kernel decides what is
the best to use?  Or should it be so I am only allowed to select one
or the other and allowing both is an oversight?
See the option no more than two lines down from that, default io
scheduler. Also see Documentation/block/switching-sched.txt and/or
Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt (elevator=) section.

Hi Jens,

I haven't got the switching-sched.txt, although I found a sched-design.txt... but what I meant was if I select whatever default, do/can I still need to select either/or scheduler?

i.e. why doesn't 'default selection option' only allow that scheduler to be selected?

Not clear is you mean "allow that to the the only selection" which it does, or "only allow that selection" which makes no sense, you can boot using any compiled scheduler.

My configuration for beverage is set to "cask conditioned IPA" but I have most of the "Microbrewed" selections for IPA, PA, Stout and Porter compiled in. The "bland American and imported brews" section is disabled, with "water" enabled as a module.

The preference is what you use by default, but not an irrevocable choice.

--
   -bill davidsen ([email protected])