Re: scheduler question 2.6.16.x

Nick Warne wrote:
On Tuesday 25 April 2006 19:15, Jens Axboe wrote:

But I can build both in... so I guess then the kernel decides what is
the best to use?  Or should it be so I am only allowed to select one
or the other and allowing both is an oversight?
See the option no more than two lines down from that, default io
scheduler. Also see Documentation/block/switching-sched.txt and/or
Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt (elevator=) section.

Hi Jens,

I haven't got the switching-sched.txt, although I found a sched-design.txt... but what I meant was if I select whatever default, do/can I still need to select either/or scheduler?

i.e. why doesn't 'default selection option' only allow that scheduler to be selected?

That would be a artificial (and silly!) limit - the io-scheduler is pluggable and selectable at boot, you can even change it at run time at a per block device level.

See the elevator= boot option and /sys/block/<device>/queue/scheduler