Re: [kernel-reviewers] a small code review (2414483) Automated g4 rollback of changelist 2396062.

Tim Hockin wrote:
On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 10:12:14AM -0700, Ken Harrenstien wrote:

That doesn't work because IIRC it only reports the amount of memory
the kernel has been told (eg via "mem=") to manage in a certain sense,
not how much is actually physically available.

The I2 netboot kernel would really REALLY like some exported /proc
values that accurately report physical memory (if nothing else, the
number of DIMMs and their sizes).  It has to figure this out in order
to install the proper kernel with proper LILO command-line args.

The kernel can't really know how much memory is in the system without
getting chipset-specific.

MTRR is a good way to hazard a guess, and will probably be right, but as
you indicated, BIOS vendors have historically been REALLY bad about
MTRRs.  Better now, but bad a few years ago.

SMBIOS (on our boards) *does* accurately report the number of DIMMS and
their sizes (and more!).  But it only works on Google BIOS.

cc: linux-kernel
bcc: kernel-reviewers

Are you saying our e820 maps and srat tables are wrong? that's a little
worrying ...

M.