RE: [(repost) git Patch 1/1] avoid IRQ0 ioapic pin collision

> I think, it is about time, not thinking via quirks as
> workarounds, because all pcis (on via) are quirked, some are
> quirked twice.
> And we should think in programmer interrupts of via chipset,
> in specific function for this propose, for me, doesn't make
> sense every time VIA put other ID out, we have to add quirks
> to this ID , as this was an exception.
>
> Thanks,

VIA's numerous pci quirks are not related to this patch. They only hit
one problem with it having only 4 bits encoding their interrupt.

> On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 15:53 -0400, Brown, Len wrote:
> > I'd rather see the original irq-renaming patch and its subsequent
> > multiple via workaround patches reverted than to further complicate
> > what is becoming a fragile mess.
> >
> > -Len

There are probably better ways to control 224 possible IRQs by their
total number instead of their range, and per-cpu IDTs are the better
answer to the IRQ shortage altogether. But just going back to the way it
was wouldn't be right I think. We were able to run 2 generations of
systems only because we had this compression, other big systems
benefited from it as well.
Thanks,
--Natalie