Re: PCI ROM resource allocation issue with 2.6.17-rc2

Maybe just add a DRM command to do it, so that old X versions (who don't
know about it) will just do it by hand, and then new X versions can do

	if (drm_ioctl(fd, DRM_SETUP_THE_DAMN_RESOURCES) < 0) {
		/*
		 * I don't know what errno the drm-ioctl actually
		 * returns for unrecognized commands, so this is
		 * just an example
		 */
		if (errno == ENOTTY) {
			old kernel: do it by hand
		}
	}

which allows us to go forward in a sane way, and finally leave the broken
X PCI-configuration-by-hand crap behind.

It doesn't help of course, the fb drivers also pci_enable the devices, really X needs a kicking square, I'm trying to figure out some sort of fix here, but X does't some really stupid things with PCI resources...

We really need a userspace way to pci_enable_device that X can call (via sysfs) so for cards that don't have a DRM or fb loaded we still get something..

Dave.

--
David Airlie, Software Engineer
http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied / airlied at skynet.ie
Linux kernel - DRI, VAX / pam_smb / ILUG