Re: Compiling C++ modules

Martin J. Bligh wrote:

So ... what exactly are you waiting for? We await the results with
baited breath. This slick C++ kernel of which you speak can surely
not be far away.

I'll start on converting 2.6.16 tomorrow, since you're anticipating it with such eagerness. I expect it to take some days. But a few years ago I did convert a filesystem in C to C++. The code was shorter, faster, and more robust. Fast enough to take the top position in SPEC SFS, and robust enough to handle the disks being pulled from under its feet (which a very popular Linux filesystem written in C could not at the time, and maybe today).

The speed benefits were largely due to algorithmic improvements, not language micro-optimizations; however I do claim that C++ allowed much faster refactoring, so we could focus our efforts on algorithms instead of finding our way in ever-more-convoluted error paths.