Re: Van Jacobson's net channels and real-time

Ingo Oeser wrote:
Hi Jörn,

On Saturday, 22. April 2006 13:48, Jörn Engel wrote:
Unless I completely misunderstand something, one of the main points of
the netchannels if to have *zero* fields written to by both producer
and consumer.

Hmm, for me the main point was to keep the complete processing
of a single packet within one CPU/Core where this is a non-issue.
But the interrupt for a packet can be received by cpu 0 whereas the rest of processing proceeds on cpu 1; so it still helps to keep the producer index and consumer index on separate cachelines.