Re: Linux 2.6.17-rc2

On Friday 21 April 2006 18:40, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Alistair John Strachan wrote:
> > Something in here (or -rc1, I didn't test that) broke WINE. x86-64
> > kernel, 32bit WINE, works fine on 2.6.16.7. I'll check whether -rc1 had
> > the same problem and work backwards, but just in case somebody has an
> > idea..
>
> Nothing strikes me, but maybe Andi has a clue.

NX for 32bit programs is enabled by default now. Does it
work with noexec32=off?

If it's that then it won't work with PAE kernels on i386 and NX
capable machines neither - i just changed the default to be
the same as 32bit, but unlike 32bit all x86-64 kernels use PAE
and many of the systems have NX.

If it's not that  don't know what it could be. I actually even used a simple
wine program with a post rc2 kernel and it worked for me.

So it isn't anything fundamental. Maybe some bad interaction
with copy protection again, but I don't remember changing ptrace
at all this time.

> Alistair, if you can do a "git bisect" on this one, that would help.

If noexec32=off doesn't help please do.
If noexec32 helps then it's likely a wine bug for using the wrong
protections.

-Andi