Re: 2.6.16.1 psmouse.c: TouchPad at isa0060/serio4/input0 lost sync at byte 1 and ACPI

Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
On 4/17/06, Brad Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
Apr 17 14:12:30 bklaptop kernel: psmouse.c: TouchPad at isa0060/serio4/input0 lost sync at byte 1
Apr 17 14:12:30 bklaptop last message repeated 4 times
Apr 17 14:12:30 bklaptop kernel: psmouse.c: issuing reconnect request

I know it's related to ACPI as if I kill all apps that poll the acpi interface the problem goes
away. My issue is that when I do that, I sometimes forget to plug the machine in when it needs it
(or suspend it to change the battery) and it winds up dead with no warning. So I *really* need my
battery monitoring.

I just don't recall having these problems, to this extent with earlier kernels. It's always been
there, but I guess since I passed about 2.6.13 or thereabouts it has just gotten worse. 2.6.16.1 is
almost unusable for serious work if I have anything monitoring the battery.

I often do you have your apps polling battery? Changing to 1 or 2
minutes might help.

All in all I have three apps that poll.. I've slowed them down a little and it still seems to co-incide with me typing or using the touchpad (Murphy is a swine like that). One polls once per minute, one polls every 30 seconds and one polls every 2 seconds!! (that one I can kill without losing any major functionality)

ACPI: Embedded Controller [EC0] (gpe 29) interrupt mode.

You can try changing EC to use polling mode (ec_intr=0) or even try disablig it.

I've used ec_intr=0 now and it has appeared to increase the reliability somewhat..
Just got my 1st set in dmesg while composing this e-mail, however I did not notice the mouse lockup or any keys stick. I did have a key stick about 15 mins ago, but it left no messages in the logs.

psmouse.c: TouchPad at isa0060/serio4/input0 lost sync at byte 1
psmouse.c: issuing reconnect request

Have not figured out how to disable the ACPI ec yet, but I'll get my head in that code tonight and have a look around.

All in all it looks like a definite improvement. I'll keep playing. Many thanks!

(just had another key stick but again, nothing in the logs)

Regards,
Brad