Re: [Devel] Re: [RFC] Virtualization steps

Kirill Korotaev <[email protected]> writes:

> -------------- cut ---------------
> Changing PAGE_OFFSET this way would break at least Valgrind (the latest
> release 3.1.0 by default is statically linked at address 0xb0000000, and
> PIE support does not seem to be present in that release).  I remember
> that similar changes were also breaking Lisp implementations (cmucl,
> sbcl), however, I am not really sure about this.

valgrind only breaks when you decrease TASK_SIZE to 2GB, not when you
enlarge it. In general 2GB VM breaks a lot of apps, that is why
the new CONFIGs that were added for this were a very bad idea imho.

Obviously the x86-64 kernel doesn't support such things.

> Also, why would one expect 4GB of VM on x86-64 if normally have 3GB on
> i686? Anyway, as it is tunable, people can select which one they
> prefer.

Because near all programs that need can actually take advance of it.

-Andi