Re: 2.6.17 regression: Very slow net transfer from some hosts

John Heffner wrote:
This is almost certainly due to a buggy firewall that doesn't understand TCP window scaling. I've usually seen this in the past with OpenBSD firewalls. Do you have one of these in your path?

At home I'm behind a Linux gateway box currently running 2.6.15-rc6 - I am connected through ethernet to that.

At my student house I am connected wirelessly to a Linksys WRT54Gv5 router (the model that doesnt run Linux).

I have reproduced it at both those locations (same ISP).

This is very familiar, and I just found the article I was thinking of: http://lwn.net/Articles/92727/

I was also hit by that bug, on the same collection of websites, but that particular problem was fixed for 2.6.8 or so. So I guess it is extremely likely that my ISP has broken routers. nmap isn't able to identify the OS of any ISP routers in my path.

It's a huge ISP over here, so contacting them over technical matters is not easy...

Thanks,
Daniel