Re: [2.6 patch] CONFIGFS_FS must depend on SYSFS

On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 07:06:22PM -0800, Joel Becker wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 02:25:52PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > This patch fixes the following compile error with CONFIG_SYSFS=n:
> >
> > <--  snip  -->

> >   LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
> > fs/built-in.o: In function `configfs_init':mount.c:(.init.text+0x3d5d): undefined reference to `kernel_subsys'
> > make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1
>
> 	Hmm.  We only rely on SYSFS because of the policy decree of
> default mounting at /sys/kernel/config (just like GregKH was asked to
> put debugfs at /sys/kernel/debug).  While we create the mount point, we
> don't rely on it.  You can mount configfs anywhere you like.
> 	So, what do you think of making that part of the code check for
> CONFIG_SYSFS?  Then the module can be built without SYSFS instead of
> depending on it.  I'm open to either idea.  Certainly, we don't leave
> the compile error.

First of all sorry for the late answer.

My intention is to get the compile error fixed, and I don't care that
much how it gets fixed.

OTOH, there's the question whether it matters at all - is the
intersection of the people who are in such space-limited environments
that they are setting CONFIG_EMBEDDED=y and then CONFIG_SYSFS=n and
the people using OCFS2 actually non-empty?

> Joel

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.