Re: The assemble file under the driver folder can not be recognized when the driver is built as module

On 4/10/06, Erik Mouw <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 06:16:56PM +0800, Aubrey wrote:
> Why would you write a driver in assembly in the first place? That makes
> it highly unportable, I bet you can't compile your driver for x86 and
> ARM from the same source. There are only four drivers in the whole
> kernel tree that have an assembly part, but those are so tied to their
> platform (Acorn, Amiga) that they aren't portable anyway.

Yes, the driver isn't portable. I'm working on the blackfin linux
system. The driver is written mostly by c except one codec. You know,
blackfin has DSP instruction set, so I write the codec in assembly to
improve my driver's performance.

> I haven't seen your Makefile so I can't see what's wrong, but see
> drivers/scsi/arm/Makefile for an example.

Makefile is simple.
===============================
----snip----
obj-$(CONFIG_FB_BFIN_7171)	  += bfin_ad7171fb.o rgb2ycbcr.o
There are two files, bfin_ad7171fb.c and rgb2ycbcr.S under the folder
" ./drivers/video".
It should be OK because the driver can pass the compilation when
select it as built-in.
It just failed when select it as module.

Thanks your any hints.

Regards,
-Aubrey