Re: How to know when file data has been flushed into disk?

Thanks for reply.

I think Douglas answered the third question, I guess you are trying to
answer the first two questions. Maybe I don't get your point. But my
question is:

Since ext3 will commit the transaction AFTER all data is flushed to
disk, it must know when the data flush is done. But how does ext3 know
that? Where can I find this code in ext3 module?

Maybe software has no way to know when the data is really written into
disk platters since hard drive has cache too. But software (like
flushd) should know when it finishes sending the data to hard drive. I
guess ext3 will commit transaction at that time. So the mysterious
thing to me is how ext3 get notified that data has been flushed.

Any further thoughts?

cheers,
Xin