deleting partition does not effect superblock?

Hi,

I am using kernel 2.6.15.4.

On my system, I first created a partition with EXT3 and put some data
on it. Later, I deleted the partition, and re-created another
partition with the same starting block number and a higher ending
block number. I intended to format it with another filesystem, but
surprisingly (or maybe just to me), the superblock of the partition
had not changed. I could still mount the new partition as the same old
filesystem. I could see all the files which was present earlier. Doing
'df' showed me the older partition details (size, % used etc.).

Shouldn't the superblock be changed/deleted once the partition is
deleted? I tried a reboot, but the output remained the same.

-- Sumit