Re: OOM kills if swappiness set to 0, swap storms otherwise

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 @ 19:59 -0800, Andrew Morton said:

Much porkiness.

/proc/meminfo is very useful for obtaining a top-level view of where all
the memory's gone to.  I'd tentatively say that your options are to put up
with the swapping or find a new mail client.

I use mutt for my email, and I have the same issue on a 1GB system.

I really wish we could put an upper limit on what file cache can use.

I understand the original poster was running a lot of pork, but you
don't have to and still see a problem with swapping.  Even running KDE
my total application memory most of the time is 300MB or less on a
machine with 1GB of memory.

I shouldn't be suffering from swap storms.

Agreed, does meminfo show that you are? The reason I ask is that I have noted that large memory machines and CD/DVD image writing suffer from some interesting disk write patterns. The image being built gets cached but not written, then the file is closed. At some point the kernel notices several GB of old unwritten data and decides to write it. This makes everything pretty slow for a while, even if you have 100MB/s disk system.

For example, my normal working set of programs eats about 250MB of memory. If
I also start a job running to something like tag some mp3s, copy a CD, or just
process a lot of files, it only takes a few minutes before performance becomes
unacceptable.

In theory you should be able to tune this, but in practice I see what you do. On small memory machines it's less noticable, oddly.

If you are doing some work where you switch among several applications
frequently, the pigginess of file cache becomes a serious problem.

Isn't that bad behavior by any measure?

--
   -bill davidsen ([email protected])