menuconfig search (Re: [rfc] fix Kconfig, hotplug_cpu is needed for swsusp)

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:24:30 +0200 (MEST) Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> >Most people don't seem to know
> >about '/' in make menuconfig.

That's a shame.

> I find it very confusing to use, since it returns too verbose text to skim
> through. Probably the search function should be split into "only search
> titles[*]" and "search description too".

Re verbosity:  do you know that menuconfig search (/) takes regular
expressions?  That could help someone limit the amount of output
from it.

Can you give an example of being too verbose?

>   config UNIX
>     bool "Unix socket"            <-- that's a "title", as in menuconfig

The search function of menuconfig (currently) works in the namespace of
CONFIG_ symbols.  It will search for a regex in the symbol tables.
Yes, someone could modify it to search thru the prompt strings of the
symbols.  I don't know if that would help or not.

I have just modified menuconfig search to make displaying the
Selects: and Selected by: output be an option (actually it's a
different search command (\) to not see those lines.
Would that help any regarding verbosity?

The patch is here if you would care to try it:
  http://www.xenotime.net/linux/patches/menuconfig-search2.patch

---
~Randy