Re: [RESEND][2.6.15] New ATA error messages on upgrade to 2.6.15

Please don't trim CC lists.  I re-added LKML and others to the CC.

On Apr 1, 2006, at 13:40:42, Mark Hahn wrote:
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
is it true that you haven't overridden this?

I leave all drives configured with the settings they have on boot. At one time while setting the system up I tried playing with hdparm, but that was long ago and my current /etc/hdparm.conf is empty.

PDC20268: IDE controller at PCI slot 0001:11:02.0
PDC20268: chipset revision 2
PDC20268: ROM enabled at 0x80090000
PDC20268: 100%% native mode on irq 52
     ide3: BM-DMA at 0x1400-0x1407, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
     ide4: BM-DMA at 0x1408-0x140f, BIOS settings: hdi:pio, hdj:pio
hmm, unkind of the bios to leave the ports programmed for PIO.

The problematic card is a FirmTek UltraTek/100 rebranded as a Sonnet Tempo ATA/100. The chipset on the card is a PDC20268 with a mac- bootable firmware. The system is an aging 400MHz Mac G4 [AGP model]. Unfortunately this means that it's using whatever odd OpenFirmware code it originally shipped with; I've never seen an updater, and it most likely would require classic MacOS.

hda: max request size: 1024KiB
hda: 156301488 sectors (80026 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=16383/255/63,
UDMA(66)
hda: cache flushes supported
hda: [mac] hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 hda5
looks good, but that's the builtin disk, right?

The built-in primary (ATA-100?) controller has:
  hda: a 80GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7
The built-in secondary (ATA-66?) controller has:
  hdc: a basic no-name brand CDROM
The built-in tertiary (ATA-33?) controller has no drives attached
The primary (IDE0) channel on the PDC20268 has:
  hdg: a 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9
The secondary (IDE1) channel on the PDC 20268 has:
  hdi: a 80GB refurbished Samsung SP0822N

hdg: max request size: 128KiB
hdg: 160086528 sectors (81964 MB) w/7936KiB Cache, CHS=65535/16/63,
UDMA(100)
hdg: cache flushes supported
hdg:hdg: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdg: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown

OK, so the add-in disks are trouble right from the start. have you checked your PATA cables? no more than 18" long? both _ends_ plugged in (no stub if 1 disk/cable)?

All of the PATA cables are perfectly fine. I've tried at _least_ 5 different cables, including the 2 that shipped with the add-in IDE controller and the 5 that came with the various drives (I've had to replace 2 of them over the years, they're cheap commodity drives). I also purchased a generic rounded IDE cable which I'm currently using as a replacement to connect one of the drives to the add-in controller due to space restrictions, although it had exactly the same behavior as all of the other IDE cables I've ever tried. I seem to recall replacing it with an ordinary ribbon cable on my last onsite visit as I rearranged some of the internal hardware.

PDC202XX: Primary channel reset.
ide3: reset: success
reset to what, I wonder, since the bios only provided programming for PIO.

I don't understand what this means, my comprehension of ATA/IDE extends only as far as what I have read on this list :-\

[mac] hdg1 hdg2 hdg3 hdg4 hdg5
hdi: max request size: 1024KiB
hdi: 156368016 sectors (80060 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=16383/255/63, UDMA(33)
hmm, udma33 is a pretty low mode, should certainly avoid CRC errors even on quite bad cables.

hdg: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdg: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown

the BadCRC means that there's definitely a problem with cable, power, overclocking or driver-controller-timer-programming.

As I mentioned above, I did check out the cables quite thoroughly, including swapping them around, but the problem did not change. The power supply itself was shipped with the case; which has 4 spaces for mounting internal drives. When I first noticed the problem, I pulled out an old oscilliscope and saw no problematic power fluctuations during boot; and removing 2 of the drives and booting from CDROM did not change the problem at all, the remaining drive on the PDC controller still had the CRC errors.