Re: [RESEND][2.6.15] New ATA error messages on upgrade to 2.6.15

On Apr 1, 2006, at 14:03:59, Robert Hancock wrote:
Kyle Moffett wrote:
hdg: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdg: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }

Hmm, are these new? Sure you don't have a bad IDE cable?
Oh, those aren't the errors I'm worried about; I've had those for a while and they're harmless. Those are due to the kernel running the IDE controller at a higher-than-supported speed. It gets errors for a couple seconds and automatically drops the bus down to a lower and safer speed.

That would be a bug, no? Sounds dangerous to rely on that.

Well, no one else seems concerned by that behavior (and I recall it being mentioned previously on this list somewhere). I've tested it fairly extensively; if I turn up the drive speed with hdparm, it gets about 4 more CRC errors during data transfer (each badcrc command is retried, of course), and then does a bus reset and drops to a lower speed again. I've never had any problems with data corruption on this system, and it has been a RAID5 fileserver for several years now.

The cable's aren't bad, I've tried at least 6 different 80- conductor cables that all work fine in other systems. The errors I _am_ worried about are these:
Mar 28 03:15:13 penelope kernel: hdi: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
Mar 28 03:15:13 penelope kernel: PDC202XX: Secondary channel reset.
Mar 28 03:15:13 penelope kernel: hdi: no DRQ after issuing MULTWRITE_EXT
Mar 28 03:15:13 penelope kernel: ide4: reset: success
Mar 28 03:30:13 penelope kernel: hdi: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
Mar 28 03:30:13 penelope kernel: PDC202XX: Secondary channel reset.
Mar 28 03:30:13 penelope kernel: hdi: no DRQ after issuing MULTWRITE_EXT
Mar 28 03:30:13 penelope kernel: ide4: reset: success

That sounds fishy to me. If the controller is having trouble communicating with the drive causing BadCRC errors, it could easily cause such errors as the above as well.

Except you seem to have missed the fact that these errors never occurred under 2.6.12, and occur regularly on 2.6.15. Besides, after the initial boot-time lowering of the speed, I never get another badCRC error from the drive, and I've never had any data corruption.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett