Re: [spi-devel-general] Re: question on spi_bitbang

On Friday 31 March 2006 12:00 pm, Kumar Gala wrote:

> My confusion is about the order of which various things occur.  setup
> (), chipselect() and transfer() vs what's happening in bitbang_work
> ().  I don't see how we handle the fact that two different devices
> may require setup() to be called when we switch between them.

In your case, it sounds like setup() will just store data, and you'll
want a different method to actually grab that data and use it to stuff
your controller registers before actually transferring data.  The
transfer() method just queues transfers (and maybe kicks them off).

Remember that setup() is generally a one-time thing.  Fancier hardware
will use it to store clock, mode, wordsize, and other parameters into
a hardware register so that starting a transfer is very quick.  In your
case, there's no such register, so starting transfers is slower.

One thing to keep in mind is that while I believe the spi_bitbang code
ought to support controllers like the one you're working with, I don't
know that anyone has done that yet.  So patches might be necessary.

At the top of <linux/spi/spi_bitbang.h> are verbal sketches of three
types of "bitbang" drivers.  Implementations of two of them now seem
to be working (word-at-a-time with GPIO bitbanging, "spi_butterfly"
being one of a few examples; and transfer-at-a-time, "omap_uwire").
Your hardware would be of the third type.

> >> It sounds like with the new patch, I'll end up setting txrx_word[] to
> >> the same function for all modes.
> >
> > Yes, it does sound like that.  If that works for you, I'd like to see
> > that go into 2.6.17 kernels.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you'd like to see go into 2.6.17.

The patch allowing the per-transfer overrides, which you were going to
grab from the MM tree.

That would support SPI drivers for things like bitmapped displays, some
of which need oddball things like 9-bit commands followed by 8-bit data.

- Dave