Re: Synchronizing Bit operations V2

I would argue that there are two semi-viable approaches to this:

1) Guarantee that all atomic operations always include a full
memory fence/barrier.  That way the programmer can largely ignore
associated memory ordering issues.

2) Make the ordering semantics as explicit and clean as possible, which
is being proposed here.

It seems to me that anything in the middle doesn't work well.  If
programmers have to think about ordering at all, you want to make it as
difficult as possible to overlook.

My impression is that approach (1) tends not to stick, since it involves
a substantial performance hit on architectures on which the fence is
not implicitly included in atomic operations.  Those include Itanium and
PowerPC.

Hans