Re: 2.6.16-rt10 crash on ppc

Ingo Molnar wrote:

* Nick Piggin <[email protected]> wrote:

I'm not very familiar with the -rt tree, but possibly what should be happening, if interrupts are executed in process context and allowed to schedule, is that their memory allocations should also be allowed to reclaim memory.

indeed - very good point. Emin, could you try the patch below [which isnt a full solution but should be a good first approximation], does it make any difference?

OTOH, I guess for a deterministic realtime system, you need to allocate fixed minimum amounts of memory for each element of the system so you never run out like this.

yeah, preallocation is pretty much the only way to go for deterministic workloads. Still, networking (and other complex subsystems) can still be used in parallel to deterministic tasks - and those should not be starved easier when PREEMPT_RT is enabled. In fact, with the patch below it could become much more robust - we could in fact achieve to never fail an allocation due to being in an atomic context.

Yes, that patch is basically what I had in mind.

Is -rt ever allocating memory from really-hard-don't-preempt-me context?
I guess not, unless the zone->lock is one of those locks too, right?

Should you add a

 #else
    BUG_ON(_really_dont_preempt_me());
 #endif

just for safety, or will such misusage get caught elsewhere (eg. when
attempting to take zone->lock).

Thanks,
Nick