Re: [rfc] fix Kconfig, hotplug_cpu is needed for swsusp

Hi.

On Thursday 30 March 2006 10:13, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Nigel Cunningham <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I think it's better to use selects.
> > I reckon that if the user selects SMP and then selects suspend support,
> > everything else required should be automatic.
>
> Yes.  `select' is end-user-friendly but kernel-developer-hostile.
> Sometimes it's infuriating trying to work out why a symbol keeps on getting
> turned on.
>
> <checks>
>
> hm, menuconfig's "/" command does show "Selected by:".  That helps.

This might give the Kconfig guys a headache, but maybe a middle road would be
to make selects turn on options rather than force them on. That is, make it
so that if SUSPEND depends on SWAP, and selects it, after enabling SUSPEND,
SWAP is also enabled, but you can still go to SWAP and turn it off, thereby
also disabling SUSPEND again?

Regards,

Nigel