Re: Schedule for adding pata to kernel?

Robert Hancock wrote:
James Cloos wrote:
Incidently, on that front, what is the magic to make it work?

I've not yet tried with 2.6.16 final, but I didn't have any luck with
earlier versions.

I have a:

,----[lspci]
| 00:1f.1 0101: 8086:244a (rev 03)
| 00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801BAM IDE U100 (rev 03)
`----

but never managed to determine the CONFIG that used ata_piix rather
than the old ide drivers.  Each attempt left me with a kernel which
could not mount its root....

What distribution? If you're building ata_piix and the other drivers (scsi, sd, etc.) as modules you'll have to play with your initrd to get it to load the correct modules on startup. If you build them into the kernel, it should just work..

Normally you add the requisite drivers to /etc/modprobe.conf, and mkinitrd should select the correct modules from there.

	Jeff