Re: RFC: Move SG_GET_SCSI_ID from sg to scsi

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 17:05 -0500, Douglas Gilbert wrote:
> I have been reviewing this thread and had one point
> to add here.
>
> The identity of the initiator port is important, at
> least to a SCSI target that can implement (PERSISTENT)
> RESERVE on behalf of one of its logical units.
> So you may need to keep the equivalent of Scsi_Host:this_id
> somewhere.

Since Scsi_Host:this_id is an integer, it's impossible that a
TransportID (which is what you use to identify the port) would ever fit
into it, since these are defined to be at least 24 bytes long.

> That is another shortcoming of the <hctl> tuple: the
> initiator port isn't there.

Actually, it may not be in HCIL, but it is in the transport classes
(although the only implementor is FC at this time, I think).  And that's
where it should be since format and contents of the transport ID are
transport specific.

James