Re: State of userland headers

On Mar 24, 2006, at 18:01:00, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
Kyle,
Do you have (recorded) or recall any constraints or requirements on this $subject from Linus or Andrew or others? I mean just basic big items, like "thou shalt not mix foo and bar".

I'm just looking for the basic parameters of this task.

Well, to a large extent he's actually wisely kind of stayed out of the flamewars :-D I'm guessing he's hoping that we'll figure something acceptable out on our own and send him patches without him having to think about it much. He has said this, though:
On the bigger question of what to do with kernel headers in general, let's just make one thing clear: the kernel headers are for the kernel, and big and painful re-organizations that don't help _existing_ user space are not going to happen.