Re: swap prefetching merge plans

Hello,

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 06:04:36PM +1100, Con Kolivas wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 03:53 pm, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > A look at the -mm lineup for 2.6.17:
>
> > mm-implement-swap-prefetching.patch
> > mm-implement-swap-prefetching-fix.patch
> > mm-implement-swap-prefetching-tweaks.patch
>
> >   Still don't have a compelling argument for this, IMO.
>
> For those users who feel they do have a compelling argument for it, please
> speak now or I'll end up maintaining this in -ck only forever.  I've come to

I have just 256MB on this laptop and I know its limits.
IME swap prefetch helps expecially when I need to open some memory
demanding application for just a few mintues (OO.org, gimp on large
images, pretty large builds, any 3D app) and then go back to my usual
<high number> of xterms.

I did definitely noticed the difference when Andrew dropped the patch
the first time. As already said, it seems so natural the idea of
swapping-in when some room is available that I immediately got used to
having this functionality and I support its inclusion.

Thanks
--
mattia
:wq!