Re: raw I/O support for Fedora Core 4

The raw device driver is obsolete because it has been superseded by the O_DIRECT open flag. If you want to have dd perform unbuffered IO then pass the iflag=direct option for input, or oflag=direct option for output, and it will use O_DIRECT to bypass the buffer cache.

This of course assumes that you mean "bypass the buffer cache" when you say "raw io".

Yogesh Pahilwan wrote:
Hi All,

I want to do raw I/O on MD RAID and LVM for fedora core 4(kernel 2.6.15.6).

After doing googling I came to know that "raw" command does the raw
operation by linking MD device and LVM volume to the raw device as
# raw /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/md0.

But when I search on this I came to know that there is no raw (/dev/rawctl)
device support available with 2.6 kernel.
I have also tried recompile the kernel sources with raw device support it is
not getting compiled as it is obsolete in 2.6. If I want to include raw device support in my kernel what should I will have to do, so that I Will be able to do raw I/O on MD device and LVM volumes.

Thanks and Regards,
Yogesh