Re: VFAT: Can't create file named 'aux.h'?

linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:
Under win/2000 "aux" can't be created either by using C/C++ or
any of the usual utilities like `ftp`. The returned error-code
is "Permission denied", even from an administrator account.

For the third time this thread, yes, you can, you just have to escape the path name to prevent the win32 api from translating the name to the non existent AUX device. From a command line you can do:

echo foo > \\?\c:\aux

And it will work just fine. The only place the name "AUX" has any meaning is in the win32 api layers that translate certain device names to the real kernel path. The kernel and filesystem will store whatever name you choose for compatibility with the posix subsystem.

I have a dual-boot lap-top so I tried to create a file called
"AUX" using `echo "">AUX`, under Linux-2.4.26. The error-code
was "Invalid argument". This is a "vfat" file-system. I was
able to create the device-name "CLOCK$", which is reserved in
DOS. I'm now rebooting the laptop, it should be interesting
to see if it still works! .... Yep. It's not a reserved name
in Win/2000.