Re: [ANN] Squashfs 3.0 released

On Mar 21, 2006  20:03 +0000, Phillip Lougher wrote:
> I don't want the lack of a fixed endianness on disk to become a problem.
>   I personally don't think the use of, or lack of a fixed endianness to
> be that important, but I'd prefer not to change the current situation
> and adopt a fixed format.  I use big endian systems almost exclusively,
> and I don't like the way fixed formats always tend to be little-endian.

If you want to squeak every last ounce of performance out of the filesystem,
just have it declare two filesystem types - one for the little-endian, and
one for the bit endian.  Generate one of them via "sed" from the other, to
rename the functions, exports, etc, so they don't conflict.  Then, depending
on the superblock magic it will mount the right filesystem, depending on
endianness.  Since they are separate filesystems, normally only one module
or the other need to be loaded at a time, and there is no runtime overhead.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Principal Software Engineer