Re: [BUG] wrong bogomips values with kernel 2.6.16

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Knut Petersen wrote:

> System: AOpen i915GMm-HFS motherboard, kernel 2.6.16
> CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.86GHz stepping 08
>
> During startup a BogoMips value  of 3730.21 is calculated. That
> should be the correct value for the cpu running at full speed.

That sounds correct. On x86, BogoMips these days is just a measure of how
fast the timestamp counter goes (multiplied by two for totally bogus
reasons), and a Pentium-M should have a fixed-frequency TSC that ticks at
the highest possible frequency of the CPU, regardless of what the real
frequency is.

So your BogoMips of 3730 sounds correct.

> But:
>
> "cat /proc/cpuinfo" on the idle system displays the correct cpu speed, but
> a wrong bogomips value:
>
>    cpu MHz         : 800.000
>    bogomips        : 3730.21

No, this is the _right_ bogomips value. Since the TSC is fixed-frequency,
bogomips doesn't change with CPU frequency.

> "cat /proc/cpuinfo" on the busy system displays the correct cpu speed too, but
> again a wrong bogomips value:
>
>    cpu MHz         : 1867.000
>    bogomips        : 8705.38

Yeah, looks like cpufreq has (totally incorrectly) scaled up the bogomips
value.

The scaling up should actually happen if the TSC runs at core speed _or_
if bogomips is calculated using the old "decl + jne" loop. So I guess
somebody "fixed" a bug that was a bug on such systems, and broke systems
with a proper fixed-frequency TSC.

DaveJ, does this ring any bells?

		Linus