Re: VFAT: Can't create file named 'aux.h'?

I disagree with this philosophy seeing as how it is possible to create these files from within windows itself:

echo foo > \\?\c:\aux.h
dir *.h
 Volume in drive C has no label.
 Volume Serial Number is F064-30D6

 Directory of C:\

03/21/2006  10:07a                   6 aux.h
               1 File(s)              6 bytes
               0 Dir(s)   4,584,951,808 bytes free

Creates a file named aux.h in c:\ just fine. Under win2k at least, explorer only hangs when I try to click on the file. Explorer has always done really stupid things like this though. I remember when 95 first came out we could create files with high ascii names on the server like ascii 255, and explorer would happily render it as an underscore (_), but could not open it or delete it because it was actually trying to access a directory named "_" rather than ascii 255.

Just because explorer/the win32 api is stupid doesn't mean linux should be too.

Yaroslav Rastrigin wrote:
It seems only fair to me to not allow creating these files under Linux either, to avoid problems when booting back to Dos/Windows.
This is true. smbfs, OTOH, has no such checks, so creating aux.h on an smb share is one easy way to DoS all WinXP machines using(browsing) this share. Explorer hangs on reading directory with this file.

Jan Engelhardt