Re: [openib-general] Re: 2.6.16-rc6-mm2: new RDMA CM EXPORT_SYMBOL's

Matthew Frost wrote:
To the point.  I, insightful betimes, but a non-user of the technology,
can grep TFM's and find out what the names could mean, but we're left
guessing at what some of these *do*.  Translating names falls into the
"any idiot can" category of data mining, but if you code for them, we can
see context.  If you named them more transparently, we might even use
them right.  Maybe just comment well?

Documentation in the form of comments are provided in the header files. I can clarify the calls if needed. To help understand the structure of this patch, three modules were submitted:

ib_addr - maps IP addresses to an RDMA device.
rdma_cm - Adds connection management over Infiniband using IP addressing. This exports most of the symbols below. rdma_ucm - Exports the rdma_cm functionality to userspace. This uses most of the exported symbols (starting at rdma_create_id and below).

+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_wq); Work Queue (do what to it?)

This is used by ib_addr and rdma_cm modules to invoke user callbacks. Additional code not yet ready for merging will also make use of this work queue. The intent is to re-use this work queue, rather than each module creating their own.

+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_translate_ip); Translate IP Address
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_resolve_ip); Resolve IP Address
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_addr_cancel); Address Cancel (memory?)

These exports are from the ib_addr module. The routines are called by the rdma_cm module. The first two map an IP address to a local Infiniband device address. Rdma_resolve_ip is an asynchronous call, so rdma_addr_cancel is used to cancel its operation. 'rdma_cancel_resolve_ip' might have been a clearer name.

+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_create_id); Create (?) ID

The rdma_cm_id created by this call is required for the calls below. Conceptually, it may help to think of an rdma_cm_id as somewhat like a socket.

+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_create_qp); Create Queue Pair (WQ,CQ)
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_destroy_qp); Destroy Queue Pair (WQ,CQ)

'rdma_create_qp' associates a QP with an rdma_cm_id, so that the rdma_cm can perform the QP transitions for the user during connection establishment.

+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_init_qp_attr); Set Initial Queue Pair Attributes (?)

This initializes the QP attributes for a user that wants to manually perform QP transitions. It is provided mainly for userspace support.

+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_destroy_id); Destroy (?) ID
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_listen); Listen (to ... socket, port, pipe, what?)

Listens across RDMA devices for connection requests. The listen is on an rdma_cm_id.

+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_resolve_route); Resolve Route (datagram path?)

In Infiniband terms, this obtains a path record from the subnet manager. The path record specifies the route through the subnet that packets between two connected queue pairs will take.

+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_resolve_addr); Resolve Address (memory?)

This converts struct sockaddr to RDMA addresses. It ends up calling rdma_translate_ip and rdma_resolve_ip, but performs some additional work to handle device hotplug events.

+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_bind_addr); Bind Address (memory?)

Associates an rdma_cm_id to a specific struct sockaddr.

+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_connect); Connect
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_accept); Accept
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_reject); Reject
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_disconnect); Disconnect

Address vs. IP - I know we're talking about a net/dma kluge here, but the
twin usage is bugging me.  I'm intuiting the _addr as memory addresses,
rather than IP addresses, which seem to be _ip, but my poor gray goo
suffers pointer overload.

Maybe the naming is off here. I used _ip when referring specifically to an IP address, and _addr when using a struct sockaddr. In some cases, such as rdma_bind_addr, the 'address' may be nothing more than a port number.

+EXPORT_SYMBOL(ib_get_rmpp_segment); Reliable MultiPacket Protocol

This is from a separate patch. It is exported by the ib_mad module, and used by the ib_umad module. There is at least one out of tree module (not yet ready for merging) that will make use of it.

+EXPORT_SYMBOL(ib_copy_qp_attr_to_user); Push Queue Pair Attribute
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(ib_copy_path_rec_to_user); Push Path Record
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(ib_copy_path_rec_from_user); Retrieve Path Record

These are used by ib_uverbs, ib_ucm, and rdma_ucm modules.

+EXPORT_SYMBOL(ib_modify_qp_is_ok); Yes, Modify Queue Pair, or "QP is
OK", or "QP was Modified OK"?

This is from a separate patch. It should be exported by ib_verbs, and used by ib_mthca. The call verifies that the settings to modify a QP from one state to the next are valid. I believe that the check used to be part of the ib_mthca driver itself, but additional kernel drivers, such as the ipath driver recently submitted for inclusion, now make use of this routine.

+EXPORT_SYMBOL(ip_dev_find); Find IP device (sub(/ip/, "ib")? find the
network interface device?)

This is the network call in fib_frontend.c. It is being re-exported (the export was removed a couple of versions ago) for use by ib_addr.

Please explain the thinking behind the choice of a non-GPL export. (Yes, we discussed this when inifiniband was first merged, but it
doesn't hurt to reiterate).

The agreement made within the OpenIB community, from where this code originates, is that all source code be licensed under a dual license of BSD/GPL. I am not a lawyer, so I don't know the implications of changing the exports to be GPL only, given the OpenIB license. But my understanding is that makes using those functions less attractive.

- Sean