Re: Announcing crypto suspend

Pavel Machek wrote:
> Thanks to Rafael's great work, we now have working encrypted suspend
> and resume. You'll need recent -mm kernel, and code from
> suspend.sf.net. Due to its use of RSA, you'll only need to enter
> password during resume.

so, how does it work? what is new? how is it different from alternative?
with suspend2 and dm-crypt I have encrypted supend too:
 - one boot partition (plain), one root partition
 - root partition is on dm-crypt. initramfs has tools to set it up.
 - swap file on root parition
 - suspend to that swap file.
 - initramfs could first ask for the passphrase to an rsa key,
   the key decrypts a binary file, the decrypted binary is the
   dm-crypt key.
 - resume could be triggered once the new root was mounted and
   in place.
 - usb access etc. should work as well in the initramfs, so I
   could move the rsa key to my smart card as well.

haveing something similar in mainline would be a huge help.

Andreas