Re: Idea: Automatic binary driver compiling system

On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 04:53:26PM +0100, Benjamin Bach wrote:
> We're doing subjective math here. It doesn't change the fact that Linux
> would be better off with improved hardware support, right?

This is only true for the short-term future.

Whether Linux is better off with improved hardware support through
binary modules for the long-term future is a more difficult question.
Arjan recently posted an extreme example of the dangers of hardware
support through binary modules [1].

You might agree or disagree with such opinions. But it has already been
discussed to death on this list, and unless you are a troll you should
read the past flamewars^Wdiscussions regarding this topic in the mailing
list archives instead of restarting the same old discussion.

If you can accept the fact that less people consider your project useful
than you might have hoped, there is no reason for you to not implement
your project.

> / Benjamin

cu
Adrian