Re: Which kernel is the best for a small linux system?

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 23:53:21 +0100, Jan Engelhardt said:

> Although the exact numbers of patches per time for a specific
> software manufacturer - let's pick Microsoft as an example - is not known,
> it is usually low (two for this *month* afaics), compared to what hits lkml
> *each day*.
>
> Does that make their software more stable than Linux? I would have my
> doubts about that.

You have doubts, because it's a totally b0rken metric. ;)

(Incidentally, there is some pretty good evidence in the computer security
community that although Microsoft has *announced* two patches for this month,
that actually there's code tweaks for *other* un-admitted problems as well.
Careful dissection of the patches often finds them poking in parts of the
operating system far removed from where the obvious problem is - so there
could possibly be a dozen or more *actual* fixes in those two patches..)

A better comparison would be the number of things on lkml *per day*,
compared to the number of issues reported *internal to Microsoft* *per day*.

Or do the comparison after trimming out all the lkml code cleanups and fixes
for obscure corner cases that often seem to only be afflicting one or two
users on the entire planet (I know I've reported my share of those types ;)

The main reason the lkml traffic is so high is because we dissect and argue
almost every single line of code in public before it goes in-tree..