Re: ORMAP

Nick Piggin wrote:
> John Richard Moser wrote:
>
>> Nick Piggin wrote:
>>
>>> 2.6 has an object based rmap system working nicely for quite
>>> a while now (though it was probably not exactly what you saw
>>> in the -wli tree, but a derivative).
>>>
>>> It would be surprising if that made your system boot 3 times
>>> faster though (unless it was on the edge of a swap storm or
>>> something)
>>>

>> Dramatization.  It was probably around 30 seconds faster on a 2-3 minute
>> boot sequence (I had a lot in rc.d), but it was noticeable :P
>>
>> I was wondering about that stuff.  There used to be a few cute things
>> out there but I can't remember any of it now.  Page clustering etc etc.
>>

> Well I don't think any of that stuff was simply forgotten. Page
> clustering for
> i386, for example became less important because of objrmap, reductions
> in size
> of struct page, and the demise of insane highmem machines (due to x86-64).

Cool cool.  What juicy things are out there these days that will
probably make future kernels faster and more memory-light?  New
schedulers?  Ingo's SLAB rewrite and priority inheritance?

> Nick
> --

- --

    new problems waiting out there.
                                                 -- Eric Steven Raymond

    We will enslave their women, eat their children and rape their
    cattle!
                                     -- Evil alien overlord from Blasto