Re: A lockless pagecache for Linux

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 03:14:38PM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:
> Christoph Lameter wrote:
> >What you are proposing is to allow lockless read operations right? No
> >lockless write? The concurrency issue that we currently have is multiple
> >processes faulting in pages in different ranges from the same file. I
> >think this is a rather typical usage scenario. Faulting in a page from a
> >file for reading requires a write operation on the radix tree. The
> >approach with a lockless read path does not help us. This proposed scheme
> >would only help if pages are already faulted in and another process starts
> >using the same pages as an earlier process.
> >

> Yep, lockless reads only to start with. I think you'll see some benefit
> because the read(2) and ->nopage paths also take read-side locks, so your
> write side will no longer have to contend with them.
>
> It won't be a huge improvement in scalability though, maybe just a constant
> factor.
>
> >Would it not be better to handle the radix tree in the same way as a page
> >table? Have a lock at the lowest layer so that different sections of the
> >radix tree can be locked by different processes? That would enable
> >concurrent writes.
> >

> Yeah this is the next step. Note that it is not the first step because I
> actually want to _speed up_ single threaded lookup paths, rather than
> slowing them down, otherwise it will never get accepted.
>
> It also might add quite a large amount of complexity to the radix tree, so
> it may no longer be suitable for a generic data structure anymore (depends
> how it is implemented). But the write side should be easier than the
> read-side so I don't think there is too much to worry about. I already have
> some bits and pieces to make it fine-grained.

Maybe we can try another way to reduce the concurrent radix tree
writers problem: coordinating and serializing writers at high level.

Since kswapd is the major radix tree deleter, and readahead is the
major radix tree inserter, putting parts of them together in a loop
might reduce the contention noticeably.

The following pseudo-code shows the basic idea:
(Integrating kprefetchd is also possible. Just for simplicity...:)

PER_NODE(ra_queue);

kswapd()
{
        loop {