[ANNOUNCE][RFC] dynsched-0.1.1 for 2.6.13

Hello,

there is a new version of dynsched released. It includes some minor
bugfixes and code cleanups. we are looking forward to your suggestions
and we are highly interested in a discussion.

In the next step we will port the patch to the current plugsched version
and split the patch in a plugsched part and a dynsched part.

The "dynsched" project aims switching the CPU scheduler at runtime. Its
based upon the "plugsched" patch by Peter Williams
(http://cpuse.sourceforge.net/). Increments to plugsched especially
a kthread, wich switchs between different schedulers, in sched.c and a
proc user interface.

Following scheduler implementations are currently supported:
* ingosched
* nicksched
* staircase

There are some missing functions like converting task_struct between the
schedulers. First tests on kernel 2.6.13.5 and 2.6.13.4
were successful. The spa based schedulers (such as spa_no_frills, zaphod
etc) are not yet supported. I hope they will be finished soon, just as
SMP support.

There is an alpha patch available at project site -
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dynsched

Using the procfs you can switch between the linux standard scheduler
(ingosched), nicksched and staircase schedulers by simply issuing:
echo "name_of_the_scheduler" > /proc/dynsched

There have been successful tests to switch the cpu scheduler while
running a fully loaded Linux system, running a KDE Desktop with a lot of
applications.

Christian Ege

 Name:   Christian Ege
 mailto: [email protected]

 BLOG:   http://chris.cybertux.org
 WWW:    http://www.cybertux.org

 PGP Key fingerprint:
 E436 3E5D CE47 7D0E DB63  F383 B41A 5FCF D4A1 D7A0
 Informationen zu PGP: ( http://www.gnupg.de/ )