Re: PROBLEM: Booting Kernel 2.6.15 let the machine freeze completely

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 12:21:18AM +0100, Jason Brian Friedrich wrote:
> I tried Kernel 2.6.15 in many different variations, from boot cds,
> live cds, (i.e. Gentoo 2006.0, Ubuntu Dapper) compiled one myself with
> several configurations, with RAMdisk and without. But everytime the
> same result.
>
> With the parameters "noapic nolapic acpi=off" the systems freezes
> after the text line "Booting kernel......". When i use the parameters
> "noapic nolapic acpi=offpci=usepirqmask" i get a bit further in the
> booting process and get these lines before the system freezes completely:
>
> io scheduler deadline registered
> io scheduler cfq registered
>
> A screenshot of this moment is available at
> http://lockfile.org/upload/dapper_error.jpg and was made when trying
> an Ubuntu Dapper live-CD. It is the same error messaage i receive with
> various other boot or live cds, even with the self-compiled kernel.
> The cds work absolutely fine on my two other system around. I also
> have the last available BIOS version on my system. Because of the
> "2.6.15 issue", i had to collect the output below from my running
> 2.6.14 on Fedore Core 4.

Brave Fedora users comment more:
mine did the same exact thing on test 2., hung at cfq scheduler, but
this is on a Abit KU8 motherboard with a sempron 64 processor, and it
did it on every distro using a 2.6.15 kernel that I tried, yet 2.6.14
and below were fine, I think there is a problem with the 2.6.15 series
of kernel rather than a media issue, because when gentoo moved to
2.6.15, it stopped on cfq and that was an install over a year old, not
coming off the cd, plus thier new installer,,,, based on .*.15 kerel
wont start for me either, stopping at cfq or right after "loading
kernel....done"
Try these boot options at startup:
noapic acpi=off nofb
It Worked!
It stops right at:
"io scheduler cfq registered".
opensuse 10 has been giving me a similar problem

And for details, this was an x86_64 version on a abit KU8 motherboard
(died two weeks after I got it) using an AMD 64 3700.
I am having the same issue with my ku8 board w/3700amd64, possible
connection? it is giving me the same freezup at cfq scheduler, and it
started when I upgraded to 2.6.15 in core 4/ and on the dvd iso of fc5
test 2